The Indiana Department of Natural Resources has adjusted services, events and operations to protect Hoosiers and prevent further spread of COVID-19.
Outdoor activities, and travel to and from those activities, are still permitted. These include hiking, fishing, boating, birding, hunting, bicycle riding and geocaching. Equestrian and mountain bike trails are open for day use only. On DNR properties, some services and facilities are temporarily closed. See below for list.
Hoosiers should follow posted restrictions and practice social distancing.
Read more about the Governor's Executive Orders.
Hunting and fishing licenses
All 2019-2020 basic hunting, basic fishing, hunt/fish combo, youth licenses and stamps set to expire March 31, 2020, are valid until Friday, May 22, 2020. Keep a printed or electronic copy with you while hunting/fishing. If you do not have a valid 2019-2020 annual license or stamp, a new 2020-2021 annual license is required.
For the 2020 spring wild turkey season, hunters need a 2020 spring turkey license and valid gamebird habitat stamp.
Licenses can be purchased by visiting the Indiana Fish & Wildlife Online License System, open authorized license vendors, or calling the Indiana DNR Customer Service Center at 877-463-6367, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
All DNR properties including state parks, state forests, fish and wildlife areas, nature preserves and state recreation areas are OPEN. However, some services and facilities are temporarily closed. See below for list.
All DNR properties will resume charging entrance fees no later than May 15.
A full breakdown of entrance and other fees can be found at stateparks.IN.gov/ 5062.htm.
- Indiana DNR-managed lakes, trails, boat ramps and wildlife areas at Brookville, J.E. Roush, Salamonie, Mississinewa, Cecil M. Harden (Raccoon SRA), Cagles Mill (Lieber SRA), Patoka and Monroe lakes remain OPEN. However, public facilities managed directly by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at or below the dams at these lakes (i.e., tailwater areas, observation mounds, etc.) are CLOSED.
- Unstaffed archery ranges - OPEN.
- Restroom availability will be LIMITED. Day use restrooms and vault toilets will open at DNR properties by May 15. Until then, guests should come prepared for restroom use to be restricted.
- The Fort Golf Course and PRO Shop at Fort Harrison State Park are OPEN, with tee times available from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Self-service cart rental is available with a limit of one person per cart. Payment and reservations can only be made by phone at 317-543-9597. Please practice social distancing during play.
- Marinas are OPEN with limited operations.
- Disc Golf Courses and Fish Cleaning Stations – OPEN.
- Welcome Centers, Nature Centers, Historic Buildings, Visitor Centers and Forest Education Centers OPEN between May 11-15, however, hours may be reduced, and social distancing may limit the number of guests allowed in the respective facility at one time.
- Campgrounds are CLOSED (tentatively scheduled to OPEN May 24). There is no overnight camping on any DNR properties.
- All property offices - CLOSED. Passes and permits can be purchased online at ShopINStateparks.com. Property maps are available online. Find contact information on office doors.
- State park inns and restaurants - CLOSED (tentatively scheduled to OPEN May 24).
- Family cabins and camper cabins - CLOSED (tentatively scheduled to OPEN May 24).
- Playgrounds, fire towers, and other similar facilities - CLOSED
- Shooting ranges - CLOSED.
- Shelters, recreation buildings, and other enclosed picnic areas - CLOSED.
- State Park Inn pools and the aquatic center at Abe Martin Lodge - CLOSED.
- Pokagon State Park: Artesian well and shelter at the end of Spring Trail - CLOSED.
- Mounds State Park: Artesian well - CLOSED.
- All group camps, youth tent and rally tent areas - CLOSED.
- Drinking fountains - OFF. Water charging stations and buckets for filling campers will be turned on as weather improves.
- Vending machines - OFF.
- The DNR Customer Service Center in downtown Indianapolis is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC but is still available by telephone (see below for number).
- All indoor and outdoor public programs and special events are postponed through May 31. Virtual programming is available on DNR's social media accounts; watch the DNR calendar for details.
- All fishing tournaments on DNR owned/operated properties - CANCELED THROUGH MAY 15.
- All fishing tournaments that require a permit through DNR, even if they are not on DNR owned/operated property – CANCELED THROUGH MAY 15.
We continue to implement recommendations from the Indiana State Department of Health and other directives from the State of Indiana regarding any future closures or cancellations. Notifications of any changes will be provided directly to guests and groups with reservations.
How to buy a permit, pass or license
We urge the public to do business with us online and by phone.
The DNR Customer Service Center staff can answer questions and sell annual state park passes, DNR lake permits and hunting/fishing licenses at 317-232-4200 or 877-463-6367. Hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Online and phone options include: