The Daviess County, Indiana Health Officer (the "Health Officer") hereby issues the following order of abatement:
- During the current COVID-19 pandemic, the President, Governor and Daviess County Indiana Board of Commissioners have enacted Emergency Declarations to protect the health and well-being of residents of Daviess County, Indiana (the "County"); and,
- The Health Officer has learned of a condition and scenario which may transmit, generate or promote the spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) among the most vulnerable and highest risk of our population, i.e. people over 65 years of age or with compromised health issues that require that they reside permanently in nursing homes, assisted living facilities or other similar type living arrangements; and
- Pursuant to I. C. 16-20-1-25(b) the Health Officer has the power and obligation to issue an order to abate and prevent an unlawful condition which may transmit, generate or promote disease in the County; and
- The Health Officer has received notifications that nursing home, assisted living or other similar providers may be moving or planning to move positive COVID-19 residents into facilities in the County from facilities out of county; and
- These same residents that could be moved are not being tested, testing is inadequate or inconclusive, and facilities and care for COVID-19 may be inadequate, and these conditions may contribute to transmitting, generating or promoting COVID-19 among the vulnerable residents and workers of these facilities in the County.
IT IS THEREFORE ORDERED BY THE DAVIESS COUNTY HEALTH OFFICER THAT AN ORDER OF ABATEMENT SHALL BE ISSUED IMMEDIATELY AND SHALL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL RESCINDED BY THE HEALTH OFFICER AS FOLLOWS:
A. No person shall be transferred from a nursing home, assisted living or similar facility in any other county, state or country into a similar facility located in Daviess County, Indiana.
B. This order is being issued pursuant to I.C. 16-20-1-25 and the County Health Officers federal, state, and local powers.
C. All nursing homes, assisted living or similar facilities that have received COVID-19 positive patients, wards or individuals from any other facility outside of Daviess County, Indiana shall have those patients, ward or individuals immediately removed and without delay.
D. This order does not apply to Daviess Community Hospital.
Dated this 6th day of April, 2020 at 8:35 o'clock a.m.
DAVIESS COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT CONFIRMS THIRD AND FOURTH CASE OF COVID-19
The Daviess County Health Department announced today the third and fourth confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Daviess County.
DCHD is working closely with the local and state officials to ensure that close contacts of the patients are identified and monitored and that all infection control protocols are being followed.
The patients have been placed in quarantine. No additional information about the patient will be released due to privacy laws.
The best way to protect yourself from any respiratory illness, including the flu, is to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact (within 6 feet) with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Go to the following websites for additional information on COVID-19: